The Avian Influenza Global Expert Group was established in September 2015 and brings together top scientists and experts from around the world to propose practical solutions to combat avian influenza in the short, medium and long term.
The group contains senior representatives from the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), world class scientists and industry representatives. Priority has been given to highlighting the huge importance of biosecurity in preventing the initial outbreak and reducing subsequent transmission.
- To deliver, or facilitate integrated, global practical solutions to prevent and combat avian influenza in the short, medium and long term.
- To come up with practical ways of changing the egg industry to better manage this threat.
- To pursue the ultimate long term goal of moving the commercial egg industry beyond Avian Influenza.
- To contribute to informed dialogue and decision making in the public interest.
- To be the link between the egg industry and the OIE; with OIE involved specifically on the issues of vaccination, long term goals and long term solutions.
- Ben Dellaert, Director OVONED (Chairman, Avian Influenza Global Expert Group)
- Professor Ian Brown, Head of Virology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, UK
- Dr Travis Schaal, Director of GP Production & Internal Vet Services, Hy-Line International, USA
- Dr Alejandro Thiermann, Past President , Terrestrial Animal Health Code Commission, World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
- Professor Dr Arjan Stegeman, Professor in Farm Animal Health, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Dr David Swayne, Laboratory Director, U.S. Department of Agriculture, USA
- Dr Wenqing Zhang, Chief, Global Influenza Program, World Health Organization
- Dr Craig Rowles, General Manager of Cage Free Production, Versova Management Company, USA
- Julian Madeley, Director General, World Egg Organisation
- Kevin Lovell, IEC Scientific Advisor
- Dr Christianne Bruschke, Chief Veterinary Officer, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Netherlands (Observer)
- Dr Sylvie Briand, Director, Infectious Hazard Management Department, World Health Organization (Observer)