Avian Influenza Global Expert Group
The aim of the group is to reduce the threat of Avian Influenza to commercial businesses through the implementation of excellent biosecurity and surveillance.
The Avian Influenza Global Expert Group was established in September 2015 and brings together top scientists and experts from around the world to propose practical solutions to combat avian influenza in the short, medium and long term.
The group contains senior representatives from the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), world class scientists and industry representatives. Priority has been given to highlighting the huge importance of bio-security in preventing the initial outbreak and reducing subsequent transmission.
- To deliver, or facilitate integrated, global practical solutions to prevent and combat avian influenza in the short, medium and long term.
- To come up with practical ways of changing the egg industry to better manage this threat.
- To pursue the ultimate long term goal of moving the commercial egg industry beyond Avian Influenza.
- To contribute to informed dialogue and decision making in the public interest.
- To be the link between the egg industry and the OIE; with OIE involved specifically on the issues of vaccination, long term goals and long term solutions.
Ben Dellaert, Director OVONED (Chairman, Avian Influenza Global Expert Group)
Professor Ian Brown, Head of Virology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, UK
Dr Travis Schaal, GGP/GP and Technical Manager, Hy-Line International, USA
Dr Alejandro Thiermann, Past President , Terrestrial Animal Health Code Commission, World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
Dr Hongwei Xin, Director, Egg Industry Centre, USA
Professor Dr Arjan Stegeman, Professor in Farm Animal Health, Utrecht University, Netherlands
Dr David Swayne, Laboratory Director, U.S. Department of Agriculture, USA
JT Dean, Center Fresh Group, USA
Julian Madeley, Director General, World Egg Organisation
Kevin Lovell, IEC Scientific Advisor
Dr Christianne Bruschke, Chief Veterinary Officer, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Netherlands (Observer)