Following the concept launch earlier this year, a task force of environmental sustainability academics and professional experts have joined forces to support the global egg industry to achieve its vision of a world where everyone recognises the sustainable nature of eggs and their importance to the health of humankind, our animals and the environment.
Brought together by the International Egg Commission (IEC), the group will champion continuous development and improvement of sustainable practices throughout the egg value chain, through leadership, collaboration, knowledge sharing and the development of sound science.
Speaking on the establishment of the group, IEC Chairman and Expert Group Chair, Suresh Chitturi, said: “The egg industry has made tremendous gains to its environmental sustainability over the past 50 years, which we should be very proud of, and now is the time to accelerate this to secure our position as the most sustainable protein of choice for consumers.
“The formation of this expert group will support us to lead the way in global protein production, as we continue to deliver an affordable, safe, sustainable, and accessible form of nutrition for the planet’s growing population.”
Comprising of nine independent environmental academics and egg industry sustainability experts from around the world, the group will support the development of a cohesive, strategic approach to identify key areas of advancement as the industry strives to make further improvements to its sustainable credentials.
Members of the Environmental Sustainability Expert Group:
- Suresh Chitturi, Chairman of the IEC and Managing Director of Srinivasa Farms
- Hongwei Xin, Dean and Director of UT AgResearch, University of Tennessee
- Ilias Kyriazakis, Professor of Animal Sciences, Institute for Global Food Security of Queen’s University Belfast
- Nathan Pelletier, Assistant Professor, University of British Colombia
- Arian Groot, Director Product Management and Business Development, Hendrix Genetics
- Carlos Saviani, Global Sustainability Lead, DSM Animal Nutrition and Health
- John Starkey, President, U.S. Poultry & Egg Association (USPOULTRY)
- Kent Antonio, General Manager – Business Development, McLean Farms
- Roger Pelissero, Chair, Egg Farmers of Canada
“I am really pleased we have been able to bring together such highly experienced and well-respected sustainability experts to support the industry in achieving its long-term vision. This is an exciting development for the global egg industry, and one which will support the future profitability of our businesses,” added Mr Chitturi.
The expert group will support the egg industry to make sound business decisions based on the latest scientific evidence, sharing best practice to improve the environmental sustainability of egg businesses globally and providing tools to allow the promotion of a common and consistent environmental sustainability message.Find out more about the Expert Group